Want to know more about the air we breathe?
Air pollution is one of Europe’s gravest environmental and health threats. Every year 400,000 people die prematurely because of poor air quality, but the European Parliament has the power to change that. Members of the European Parliament are now starting to work on a number of EU laws, including the National Emissions Ceilings (NEC) and Medium Combustion Plants Directives, which could substantially improve the air we breathe.
That’s why HEAL, the European Environmental Bureau (EEB), Transport and Environment (T&E), Client Earth, AirClim, Soot Free for the Climate and Clean Air, Fondo Ambient, ICV BC, The Danish Ecological Council, Deutsche Umwelthilfe, Suomen luonnonsuojeluliitta, ECOS, Danmarks Naturfredningsforening, have created this toolkit to help them make the right decisions.
The toolkit includes a video, that shows MEPs just how dirty the air they breathe in the EU quarter of Brussels is, and 12 factsheets on air pollution around the EU and how to tackle it. The video ‘MEPs, it’s time for cleaner air’ was filmed in Brussels in June 2014 where we measured the number of ultrafine particles (smaller than PM1) in the air at a number of well-known spots in the EU quarter. The results showed that the air in Brussels can be up to 180 times dirtier than the level of clean air.
Air pollution factsheets
The factsheets reveal how air pollution affects us, from our health to our economy, and explain what the main sources of pollution are. Crucially, they contain policy recommendations to MEPs that will help clean up our air. Everywhere.
Originally posted on 2 September 2014
- Air and Agriculture (PDF – 2 Mb)
- Air and Climate (PDF – 2.1 Mb)
- Air and Cultural Heritage (PDF – 830.5 kb)
- Air and Domestic Heating (PDF – 897.7 kb)
- Air and Economy (PDF – 1.4 Mb)
- Air and Ecosystems (PDF – 1.3 Mb)
- Air and Road Vehicles (PDF – 697.9 kb)
- Air and Shipping (PDF – 609.4 kb)
- Air and Non-road Machine (PDF – 1 Mb)
- Air and Industry (PDF – 618.8 kb)
- Air and Health (PDF – 2.8 Mb)
- Air and Solvents (PDF – 1 Mb)