HEAL Newsflash - December 2013
On 10 – 11 December the WHO EHFT met in Brussels to discuss the links of the environment and health process (EHP) beyond Parma and Health 2020 with a particular focus on the relation to sustainable development and the time bound goals to protect children’s health. Read more...
The Green10 of which HEAL is a member has prepared its top ten demands for the 2014 European Parliament elections which take place from 22 -25 May next year. Read more...
HEAL’s German Chemicals Health Monitor project launched new materials in German and hosted a stand at the Wissenswerte 2013 annual conference of science journalists in Bremen, Germany. Read more...
On 3 December HEAL’s Senior Advisor took part in an insightful conversation with Dr. Grandjean, discussing the impact of chemical exposures on the brain, known as the ‘Chemical Brain Drain’. Read more...
HEALer Lisette van Vliet recently commented on the delay of the EU strategy on endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in a briefing by Chemical Watch. Read more...
New evidence published yesterday has prompted renewed calls from HEAL for the EU environmental impact assessment to address shale gas fracking in Europe. Read more...
Last month, HEAL was invited to present its work to a group of final year agricultural engineering students from Rennes, France. The students were particularly interested in the pesticides and chemicals work by HEAL and the relationship with the EU Institutions. Read more…
On 5 December HEAL member Pesticides Action Network Europe (PAN-E) co-hosted a joint symposium in the European Parliament to discuss the possibilities to feed Europe with less pesticides. Read more...
On 2 December HEAL released new figures on health impacts in the UK associated with air pollution from coal-fired power plants. The timing of the release coincided with an important debate on the future of coal power generation in the House of Commons on 4 December. Yet, the amendment which would have forced an earlier closure of highly polluting, old coal power plants and which had the support of the House of Lords was defeated. Read more…
HEAL’s coal and health adviser in Poland recently participated at a conference in Lubin focusing his presentation on the external health costs of coal power plants in Poland. Read more...
Last month the Center for Ecology and Energy (CEE) organised the presentation of a study on the health impacts of coal fired power generation in Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is estimated that health impacts here are valued at €99 million/year. Read more...
On 9 December HEAL launched the Romanian version of The Unpaid Health Bill at a press briefing in Bucharest. HEAL’s report shows that annual health costs due to coal pollution in Romania are the second highest in EU at 6.4 billion EUR. Read more...
On 10 December fifteen MEPs held a giant pair of inflatable lungs calling on the EU Commission to propose its air package before the end of the European Year of Air. A banner with the slogan ‘our lungs are in your hands’ was addressed to all 28 EU Commissioners. The Air Package is due out on 18 December. Read more...
On 10 December HEAL spoke at a briefing co-organised by the European Voice and the European Respiratory Society (ERS). On this occasions ERS and the European Lung Foundation launched a White Book ‘Lung health in Europe Facts & Figures’. Read more...
Medical research findings published in Pediatrics journal underline the need for a phase out of the use of coal on health grounds in Poland and elsewhere. The study by a team of Polish and US researchers in Krakow shows a significant negative impact of air pollution on children’s health over a 13 year period. Read more...
A study published in The Lancet this month confirmed that current EU air quality legislation is far from sufficient to protect Europeans’ health. The study estimates that for every 5 micrograms per cubic metre increase in annual exposure to fine-particle pollution, the risk of dying rises by 7 percent. Read more...
- EFA and ECC - World COPD Day 2013 commemorated under the auspices of the Lithuanian Presidency of the EU
- Hainaut Vigilance Sanitaire - Training and specialisation for health care professionals in environmental and health medicine
- 28 - Brussels, Belgium: Presentation of project: ’Training for health care professionals in environmental and health medicine’
More information available on request - please email email@example.com
- 4 - World Cancer Day
- 4 - 11 - Paris, France: 31st FIFE film festival
More information available here
- 1 – 2, Munich, Germany - ERS Research seminar on protein quality control in lung disease. Organisers: Silke Meiners and Catherine Greene
More information available here
- 10 – 12, Barcelona, Spain - ERS Seminar ‘The many faces of stem cells in respiratory diseases’. Organisers: Melanie Koenigshoff and Antje Prasse
More information available here
- 25 – 27, Boston, USA - INCHES conference on children’s health and the environment combined with the 4th PPTox meeting
More information available soon from here http://www.inchesnetwork.net/
- Send us your festive photos for an EDC-Free Holiday! What’s disrupting you? Take Action now! http://www.edc-free-europe.org/how-to-take-action/
- EU’s air pollution problems festering
Deutche Welle, 12 December 2013
- The human cost of coal in the UK: 1600 deaths a year
New Scientist, 4 December 2013
- Charity says coal-burning kills 1600 a year as MPs vote on tighter controls
Guardian, 2 December 2013
- NGO platform: Time for EU to act on endocrine disruptors
Chemical Watch, November 2013
- @ERSTalk @EuropeanLung @EFA_Patients Giant inflatable lungs in @EuropeanVoiceEV - ’Last-gasp plans for air quality’ http://bit.ly/1iZdFDB
- EU #coal use declines 8% in first half of 2013. So much for the renaissance http://huff.to/18wUxWJ
- @bmj_latest http://bit.ly/1cmixK1 Immediate release of air package needed.420,000 European still dying earlier each year from #airpollution
- MT @doug_parr #HouseofCommons votes 318 to 236 not to restict #coal.Bad news for climate change,air pollution & people’s #health #cough4coal
- ’Envying an Environment NGO’ http://bit.ly/1cazxCH Thanks to Dr. Grandjean for his kind words our 10th anniversary this year!
Last updated on 18 December 2013